Crafts made of glass are a wonderful piece of the art collection. During the craft making process, glass has to be cut and turned. It requires glasscutter or a diamond cutter but this is outdated. You don’t have to possess a costly glass or Diamond cutter for making simple craft projects out of glass. To cut glass without a glass cutter, you will require certain items which you can find in and around your home. Though the process is simple, extreme caution is needed on this work. You can use the following for cutting glass with no glass cutter.
You have to wrap them around the bottle exactly where you want to make a cut. You have to calculate the measurement of the required length of yarn before you start the process. Along with the required length you have to add another 6 inches to that measurement. After this cut three pieces of yarn of that same length. Arrange all the three pieces of yarn on top of each other and tie knots at each end so that it becomes one single piece now.
Things required and the process
- Make sure you said this process outdoors.
- Take a 5-gallon bucket and fill it with Ice and water. For protection, you will need disposable gloves and protective eyewear.
- Pour nail polish remover into the glass bowl and make the yarn soak for 2 minutes.
- Take the and out of the bowl and squeeze the excess fluid. Tie this yarn around the bottle at the spot which requires cutting.
- Remove the gloves and transport the bottle the matches and the work gloves outside is where you left the bucket. Now put on the work gloves.
- Tightly hold the bottle over the bucket and light the match over the yarn. As the yarn burns rotate the bottle and as time passes the flame will get lower and lower.
You have to drop the bottle into the bucket right at the moment when the fire is about to off. You can hear cracking noise once you do this. You can now raise the bottle and see that has been cut.
The last step to cut glass with no glass cutter, need sandpaper or a glass file to smooth the edges.
To cut a mirror without a glass cutter the first step is to plug the sink with the stopper. Secondly, you have to play a disposable aluminium pan at the bottom of the sink. Then you must fill the fan and the sink with cool water but not cold water. As a protective measure put on your kitchen gloves and protective eyewear. The actual process starts when you submerge the glass under the water and hold over the pan.
With the help of another hand hold the scissors under water. Now start the process of cutting the glass slowly. The pieces will fall into the aluminium pan. Please ensure that you cut it evenly. You can pull out the glass out of water when all cuts are made. Now you can unblock the sink and drain the water. You can also dispose of the broken glasses from the pan. You can you send paper or glass file to smooth the sharp cut edges.
Prescriptions to cut glass without breaking it and harming yourself
If suppose, the bottle is not cut for the first time, you can use a new piece of yarn and try again. Using the same piece of yarn, again and again, is not recommended.
If children are undertaking this kind of activities, adult supervision becomes necessary.
There are highly inflammable substances involved in the process which includes the nail polish remover and the bottle itself.
Use uncoated yarn and cotton works best. Coated yarn is toxic and it can also involve in a chemical reaction with acetone.